Thursday 5 December 2013

Head held high

This is my first attempt at speaking up my mind in a blogpost and I should like to start this journey with something that I have been continually thinking about.My father retired from his job on 30th November this year and I got to see the great amount of respect that he has earned from his colleagues and his subordinates at the end of forty years of service.He was given a very hearty farewell at the office,two of his colleagues came to see him off and a large number of people(his former colleagues,clerks, and friends)rang him up to thank him or to wish him at his retirement.All these people said that had there not been my father,most of them would have never learned much and that if there was one person in the company who eagerly took on responsibilities and refused to step down from his principles (from refusing bribes to allying with the union leaders for some 'more share'),it was Somenath da(my father).It was the second time that I saw my father move to tears and at dinner he told me that he may not have been able to earn as much as he could have(he had to forgo promotions because of his filial duty and due to the utter callousness of a few people)but the love and respect that he earned from so many people has sufficiently compensated him!
                  While it was good to see people expressing their gratitude,which most people never do,relatives and outsiders alike(I have seen this all these years with my parents especially with my father),I once more realised how proud I was to be his daughter.The fact that my parents have driven into my system at a tender age is that whatever be one's work,one should always keep up one's honesty and one's sincerity.This is the only way,they have taught me,that one can stay away from the filth and corruption of the so called 'work places',be at peace with oneself and at the end of the day earn óthers' respect.I have seen people,musicians,painters and engineers lamenting that in their professions mud-flinging and corruption spoil the work-culture but as my parents and my Sir say,one's job is as good as one makes of it!Indeed I have looked up to my parents and my Sir as honest and sincere human beings,who have not compromised with their principles come what may and who command genuine respect of many nice people.It becomes easier to commit oneself to honest work if one has inspirational people in front of them and I am lucky indeed to have met such people.They illustrate that the fruit of honest and sincere work can be sweet and in turn inspire me to put in the same dedication in whatever I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment